Friday, August 31, 2007

Back into Teaching

I decided to do some substitute teaching while I await a call to a church. My first job was for 3 days in a severely emotionally disturbed class with 7 boys 3rd through 5th grades. It was a little odd to be in the classroom again, but after a little bit it felt very normal. It helped that I was at one of the schools where I taught so there were several familiar teacher faces around.

I had this kind of kid in my PE classes, so I knew that there were reasons that they were in this class. I also reminded myself that every child can learn. My 3 days with these boys served to remind me that every child can indeed learn, but you have to find the "hook" that will get them started. That is truly the art of teaching. The aides in the classroom remarked that a couple of the boys had done more work for me than they had been doing previously.

Every child truly can learn, but it takes time and patience to get to the place where they can learn. These boys, once you got past all the junk that has been placed upon them with medical issues, family life, labels from parents, teachers and kids, and self and can get underneath all that, I found that these boys was each a bright child with untapped potential. It is a matter of trying to help them tap into that resource within themselves.

4 comments:

PPC Young Adults said...

Good work and good reflection!

Monica said...

god, i am praying for you...i am perplexed at the waiting- but i know you are in good hands...you will be in thoughts and prayers this week! mj

Karen Wagner said...

The waiting is a part of the process and as my wise friend Paul Burns said, it is time to recharge and to take care of myself. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. This will be an interesting fall.

Anonymous said...

Good for Paul, good for you! Having watched you first-hand enchanting my own children, it's no wonder that you are working miracles back in your old school. Prayers and blessings for you as you renew yourself and begin this next phase...
Love you!
Julie