Monday, September 03, 2007

Feeling out of Rhythm

I went for a walk this evening and felt like I was just out of sync. Then it dawned on me that for the last 3 years, the Tuesday after Labor Day marked the beginning of a new school year. Before that there was the rhythm of teaching in public schools. This year, I don't have a rhythm. There isn't a normal pace to my days. There are days that I accomplish nothing, which isn't always a bad thing, but there are also days that I feel positively aimless.

The call process is partially about learning to wait on God. The next step is not on my time, but as one who likes to be in control of things, particularly my own life, this creates a feeling that life is out of sync. Oh well.

To all my friends beginning another year in their seminary career, blessings to you. To the seniors, enjoy time with your fellow seniors. To echo Tim, a realization after graduation is that the path of the pastor is a lonely one indeed. Cultivate relationships and bask in the glorious time that is graduate school. Learn all you can and live life to the fullest. Blessings!

4 comments:

PPC Young Adults said...

Thanks so much for the well wishes. Pace. . . yeah that's a hard one. I'm sure rhythm will come, but it may take awhile.

Whatever occurs in the next few weeks and months, I hope it completely comes to its fullness -- the fullness of what it's intended to be. So, even in your rhythm schism (Isn't that a ridiculous phrase?) I believe you'll have the fullness of what this time should be.

Anonymous said...

The withdrawal symptoms that result from being out of school are difficult, as is the waiting process. Change and new rhythms will come; in the meantime, explore the possibilities of this new way of being...and remember how beloved you are.
Julie

Monica said...

i am thinking of you bunches...i do not pretend to think that this is even about waiting...i have no idea...i can only imagine that it must feel like the biggest betrayal...answer the call, then this? you are much more patient and accepting than i...i am learning new things by watching your journey...God's grace to you today...

Karen Wagner said...

Thanks to you all. I love you all and miss you terribly!!