Friday, September 07, 2007

A Next Step

Next weekend I am flying to Neenah, WI for a face to face interview with First Presbyterian for their associate pastor for Christian Education. They emailed me the agenda for the weekend which includes a written "teacher training plan" and then have you "train the committee" as if we were CE teachers giving a lesson. Target taking 30 mintues to "train the trainers" and assume that the committee represents ages pre-school through adult. So that is the project, getting a topic figured out and getting everything made.

I am choosing to do a unit on parables. The younger ones will only have a few parables while the adults can cover more. I am thinking of the parable of the sower from Matthew 13 as the focus for what I will "train the trainers" with. I am reworking a sermon on the same text, but I don't preach this go round.

My only concern with this position is that I would preach only 1 every 6 weeks. Otherwise, I like the information on the CIF and I think it would be a good match. I also have to consider whether for a first call it is more important for me to preach weekly or to gain experience in a larger church. Often times the shifts in position happen laterally in the church, so in that regard starting in a multi-staff church may set me up better for being the head of staff of a larger church down the road. There are oh, so many things to think about in this process.

I am tired of waiting, but this is a chance to work on my ability to wait on God. I hate waiting.

1 comment:

Time Loves a Hero said...

Michael Jenkins tells a story of Bob Shelton once telling a Senior who was talking about about the number of churches that had offered him positions that he was to go where God is calling him.

Horribly, that's the deal. We go where we are called. Sometimes first churches are great, sometimes they are lousy. (I'm sure you've heard as many first-call stories as I have.) But if you are called, that's where you are to go.

The good news is that this is not advice. The bad news is that it's the truth.