Tuesday, August 07, 2007

What a Day!

Today marked the end of CPE! I passed. Some good evaluation comments and some challenges for continued growth as well.
I also had an interview tonight with Southminster Presbyterian Church in Boise, ID. This church caught my attention as they are interested in worship and are willing to have fun and enjoy worship. They are a church with a sense of humor and a church who want to have an impact locally.

I thought the interview went well, but they asked some tough questions. This is a church that is looking for a pastor with 2 years of experience or more and so several questions focused on what experience I had in administration and in pastoral care that would meet that expectation. I talked about my view of ordination and I brought up the fact that in someone is homosexual and celibate, they can still be ordained according to G6.0106b. They also asked me if I would ordain someone as an elder who didn't believe in the virgin birth.

It is still a bit of a stretch as to whether I will progress past this interview or not, but I felt good about the interview and that theologically it would be a match. It would represent a HUGE learning curve for me, but I think it would also present lots of opportunities for growth as well. We shall see.

Peace Out Yo!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

so how did you answer the virgin birth question???

Karen Wagner said...

I would ask the member if the issue was the physicality of the virgin birth or a disbelief in the humanity of Jesus. The point of the virgin birth is to acknowledge the full humanity of Jesus. He was born of a human female and to quote the Rigby, "entered into the messiness of fleshy existence."

The virginity of Mary has never been a big issue for me. I have never really worried about whether Mary had ever had sex before or after (according to the Catholics). The virgin birth is about the recognition of the humanity of Jesus and God becoming a helpless human infant. God becoming weak and the power that comes from that weakness. That and the restoration of humanity to relationship with God.

Only partially heretical. :)