Monday, June 03, 2013

What a day

No earth shattering information today, just lots of frustration with my car.  Last night I went out to my car and it would not start.  I called my dad to let him listen to it.  He thought it was the battery.  I was frustrated because of how my car was parked and it would be only possible to jump the battery with extra long cables and it really didn't do me any good to call on a Sunday night as no place would be open anyway. 

I had decided to wait until morning.  However, on a whim while walking the dog once last time for the night, I tried starting my car.  First, I flipped on the headlights and they came on.  I tried to turn the ignition over and it whirred like before.  I tried it again and it tried to turn over.  The third time it turned over, but died quickly.  On the fourth time, the car fired much to my surprise. 

I grabbed the dog and put her in the car and jumped in to keep it running and went for a drive.  I called my dad again and talked to him for a minute.  Yes, I needed to drive for a while to give the alternator a chance to charge the battery a bit.  I drove up and down Mo-Pac and 183 for about 30 minutes, very glad that I had filled the gas tank a few days before. 

I got home and decided that I would get up early, take care of the dog and then pray the car would start so I could drive to the dealership.  I had phone numbers for a couple of options for jump starting my car and I had been smart enough to back into the parking place so jump starting the car was actually a possibility. 

Much to my relief, the car started this morning on the 2nd try.  So I drove to the dealership to get a new battery and to go ahead with the next 5k service which was close to being due anyway.    Then there was an hour wait to get the shuttle to work and later in the day, a 2 hour wait after calling from work to get a shuttle to take me back to the dealer. 

So at the end of the day, I drove out of the dealership with a new battery, tires rotated, oil changed, an alignment and wheel balance, so hopefully the mechanical issues are taken care of for awhile.  I so didn't need to add that to my day.

No comments: