Monday, October 01, 2007

DeColores!!!!

I have spent the last 5 days at Canyon Camp near Hinton, Oklahoma. I went to Oklahoma Presbyterian Cursillo #38. Cursillo is a 72 hour spiritual retreat. A chance to get away from the busyness of life and to bask in the glory of God. A chance to be surrounded by Christian hospitality and love and to hear from laity and clergy what is means to live into Christ. As a staff member you are the givers of hospitality which a blessing in itself.

This time I was on staff not as a musician, but as a spiritual advisor. The weekend is run by lay people but there are 3 clergy who lead morning chapel, celebrate communion (the one ordained pastor on our staff did that), are available for individual intercessory prayer, and give some of the talks, This year, there were 2 of us who were on staff as spiritual advisors who have not yet been ordained. It was a great joy to serve as a spiritual advisor. It offered me a chance to preach in a new setting and within a short time. To work to bring in elements of what others have said into what I am saying. I also had the chance to do something I have never done, to preach in my pajamas.

The participants are told to "come as you are" so as the staff, we all model that too. The participants are given robes of righteousness, as was I. It is like wearing a bedspread. :) Good thing it was about Jesus telling us to come as we are.

If you have the chance I would recommend you pray about going.

No comments: