Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Next CPE question to ponder

Last week was about the question "What is your image of God?" This week, the question is "What is your biblical model for being a pastor?"

I am one of the disciples. Working hard, following Jesus, but not yet understanding what lies ahead. I am exploring the life of Peter. One who followed from the beginning, who jumps in quickly often not understanding why or what he is doing. He denies Christ, denies who he is called to be. Once reconciled to Christ however (John 21), Peter becomes one of the great leaders of the church. We see a totally different Peter in the Book of Acts than we do in the gospels.

Who is your biblical model?

2 comments:

Katrina said...

My biblical model for being a pastor is Jezebel. Is that ok?

Marshall Scott said...

I also thought about Peter - like you, because he showed me that grace could produce wonderful results from my own clumsiness.

Some days it's Gideon - taught by God that God will do the job and get the glory, as he kept telling Gideon whom to send home.

And then there was my first CPE supervisor, nearly 30 years ago, who said he saw in me the rich young ruler. Of course, I wasn't much more hopeful: I was afraid I was Jacob: too slick.