Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Golden Compass


I finished reading the book on Friday and went to the movie on Saturday. First, I thought the book was way better than the movie (but that is usually the case). Second, I understand why the Christian right and the Catholic church could be up in arms. The movie opens speaking of the "Magisterium" which tells people the truth they want them to know. This movie and the book does offer a challenge to the form of Christianity that is dogmatic in belief and leave no room for independent thought or for questioning.

The author has been quoted as saying that church history shows Christianity to be violent and oppressive. I can't argue with that. Christians have been and I would argue still are violent and oppressive. How many theological arguments have ended up with one side being deemed as heretical and killed or otherwise silenced.

I would encourage everyone to see this movie and to decide for yourself. Maybe it is time for the church to listen to an outsider (Pullman is a self proclaimed agnostic) and see what we may actually look like.

No comments: