Saturday, October 07, 2006

Too many voices

What do you do when you have too many voices running in your head that aren't yours. I have read so many books lately that I think all of the authors voices are more prominent than my own. I hate this continuous rebuilding stuff that goes on at seminary. Just as I think I have my #*$% together, I take another class (es) that shatters that idea and I have to rebuild again.

I think this has added to the round of dreams lately about getting 1's on the ords. It is my subconscious mind acting out the terror that I feel thinking about the fact that I graduate in May and that in a year I could be ordained and serving a chruch.

YIKES!!

3 comments:

Christopher Drew said...

Wouldn't it be unusual for a seminarian to not have other voices running around inside his or her head? :-)

Karen Wagner said...

Fortunately, the voices more argue with one another than with me. You know Chris is right...I wouldn't know what to do if there weren't a few voices running around my head.

Time Loves a Hero said...

Hey Karen,
I believe there is great truth in Socrates' Oracle story. In short, The Oracle at Delphi told the big guys in charge that Socrates was the wisest of all. Socrates told them that if he is wisest, it is only because he knows how ignorant he is. (Personal paraphrase)

The candidacy process mined new depths of my ingorance. Seminary mined new depths of my ignorance. Parish minisrty casts a dim light on the bottomless pit of my ignorance.

This probably doesn't seem like the good news, but realizing your $hit isn't together is (believe it or not) a very good place to be.

If our stuff was really together would we need Jesus?

Share and Enjoy,
Paul