Monday, March 06, 2006

I am a Candidate now

Well as of last Friday afternoon I have been moved to the next phase in the ecclesiastical process, to candidacy. It involved standing in front of Presbytery telling my call story and answering questions related to it. It was a very affirming process and I am one notch further along.

I was reading a draft proposal from the New Wineskins Initiative about pastors. They are not going to require pastors to have an MDiv, which I think is a huge mistake. They are looking for practical training, an apprentice sort of role and some basic classes (that you can probably take at most major universities through the religious studies departments), but I think that is a bad idea!!!

Presbyterians have valued educated clergy. There is reason to learn the original language, the text becomes much richer and more intriguing in the original language. Our English interpretations often cannot do the original language justice in meaning. I see this as an attempt to stifle the Word. It reminds me of those who truly believe the words printed in red are precisely what Jesus said.

That being said, off to translate Greek!

No comments: