Saturday, April 26, 2008

Anyone for Sacred Cow Tipping?

Over lunch I was sharing some of my ideas that have stemmed from needs expressed by parents of preschool kids. In the course of conversation, I discovered a sacred cow. To move forward with these ideas means the possibility of re-engaging several families into the life of the congregation, but it also means to risk pissing off some staunch members because "We've never done it that way before" and I feel like they are afraid that one change may lead to a bigger change.

I would love to make gourmet burgers, but I don't want to alienate folks either. Trying to find a way to tip this sacred bossie over in the hopes to help families of preschoolers without completely alienating myself from some other members. There is big risk, but there is also big reward.

2 comments:

Time Loves a Hero said...

Luther said "Sin boldly," and see what it got him. Talk to the boss, talk to the Session, talk to Bill if he isn't on Session. Pray lots.

Remember what Ozzy Davis told Spike Lee in the movie by the same name, "Do the right thing, Mookie. Do the right thing."

Finding the right thing, now that's the booger. Again, I'm no help at all.

Pastor Chris said...

Oh Karen! You gotta tip the cow! Gently but most definitely gotta tip that Cow. Here I am two years into my first call with many a cow I should have tipped but resisted because of the old guard "We've never done it that way". Sometimes living on the perimeter of the village is tough place, but we are called to live there and to remind the others that this is where they are supposed to be too.