Monday, July 24, 2006

Purity...Since when?

Had a thought today about peace, unity and purity. And what I got stuck on was purity. Since when has the church actually been pure? The early church struggled with the issue of circumcision. Did you have to be a Jew before you could be a Christian? How is it that the Gentiles were allowed to become a part of the church? The very act of bringing outsiders into the church blows the issue of purity apart does it not?

Purity makes me think of the countries that have destroyed groups of people in the name of racial purity (yes, I am reading a fiction book that has to do with the Nazis, so this is fresh in my mind). Is the church becoming so exclusionist, that we are willing to strive for "purity" at the expense of keeping those unlike us out? Or is the church to be a place where all are welcome at the expense of purity?

What do we mean by peace, unity and purity? Are we talking about tolerance, uniformity, and sameness? I think there are pockets of folk in the church that are. Tolerate other religions, they have the right to exist, but they are inferior; Uniformity of belief and thought, you have to think the same way I do; and purity should then follow. I honestly think this is where some people want the church to track.

The issue of biblical authority has been a hot topic all summer since there are those who feel that others have strayed. One of the things I have always valued about being Presbyterian is that there has always been room in the churches I have been a part of, to struggle with interpretation. I have never been told that this is what I have to believe, but have been given basic understanding and been allowed to wrestle and to dialogue with others. Am I always right? No. But the community with which I study is how I know that. I can bounce ideas off of them and if they are not received then I can dismiss them and learn from others. I like that!

I don't want to be in a church where everyone acts, talks and thinks the same. It is a bit redundant. I want to be with people who challenge me to open my mind and my heart and who will struggle along with me to see what God might be doing.

Think about it. What do we mean when we talk of purity? Is that really what we want?

3 comments:

Monica said...

written like a true theologian!! and yes, i think the line in understanding and even PRACTICING purity comes with risks...either way!!

Katrina said...

the church has done terrible things in history in the name of purity...the word scares me

PPC Young Adults said...

Which "Nazi fiction" book are you reading? Is it the one for the Bonhoeffer class? Are you in that with me? Anyway, I've been reading that -- "Saints and Villians" and it has provoked my thinking!