Friday, July 07, 2006

Amazing Grace


At the beginning of one of the plenary sessions on Thursday, I saw a lady down the pew from me wearing a Montreat cross. I had seen them on the website and was going to get one to wear when I preach. I asked her if she had gotten that in the bookstore here. A conversation ensued with Mary and she asked if this was my first time at Montreat. We only spoke for a few minutes as the session began.

At the end of the session, she stepped toward me, extending her hand. She pressed the cross into my hand and said it was to remember my first Montreat experience by. I have worn the cross during the rest of the conference and will wear it when I preach. If nothing else to remind me of the amazing grace that abounds within the church. The church has become fragmented in the last couple of weeks, but there truly is still hope. We must be willing to reach out to others, even those we don't know, and extend a hand and the gift, the touch of peace.

1 comment:

Monica said...

thanks for the call today...sorry i missed you but i am sure you were fantastic in the pulpit!! yes all is well and i am grateful for the next six weeks, as minimal as it is...grace and peace to you my friend...mj