Sunday, April 16, 2006

You learn something new everyday

Today, what I learned is that me and contemporary worship on big liturgical Sundays don't mix. I played trombone at a local church for 2 contemporary services with a seminary friend of mine. The services were well done, well attended, good lituragy, good preaching, good music, nothing wrong with the service...it's just that it wasn't a fit for me. It was weird as I drove away from the church to realize that I didn't feel like I had truly celebrated Easter.

Now part of this is my traditional upbringing, part of it is the fact that for the last 21 years I have played in a brass ensemble at my home church, and part of it is I get very stuck in my own sense of tradition.

Upon further reflection, and driving in my car listening to a CD of the home church service from last year, I realized that I had several church members come up to me and comment on how much my playing added to their worship, that it made it more special. Perhaps that was the Easter message I was to get today. It perhaps is not about me feeling like I have celebrated Easter, but instead, helping others feel like they have celebrated the risen Lord.

I have the opportunity to be in classes all week and wonder in amazement about this thing we call religion. To stop sometimes in utter disbelief at what we profess as Christians. After all it makes NO logical sense, it's not like I was one of the women at the empty tomb thousands of years ago, but yet, I believe that Christ is Risen, Christ has conquered death and has descended into hell (can't stand that descended to the dead stuff...another story) and has risen and sits at the right hand of God.

Maybe, just maybe, because I believe...God was using me to help someone else believe today. Maybe.

1 comment:

Monica said...

isn't this this beauty of abiding? i got to thinking about this delimma of yours and came to the conclusion that signs/symbols are very strong catalysts for our worship...when the usual sign/symbol doesn't happen, what in its place cues you to know what is going on? random thoughts...