Sunday, January 22, 2006

Remember Rule #6

I have been reading a book that my dad gave me for Christmas. "The Art of Possibility" by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander. I haven’t finished it yet, but so far it is a great read that focuses on being able to think outside of the boxes we have created for ourselves and dealing with others in a manner that allows them to work to the fullest of their abilities as well.

My favorite chapter is entitled Rule Number 6. The whole premise is to remember Rule number 6. What is this mysterious rule and what are the other rules? There are no other rules and rule 6 is “Don’t take yourself too d*mn seriously.”

Good advice I have to say. Most of the time things aren’t nearly as serious as we would like to think they are. If we don’t take ourselves so seriously it is much easier to admit to mistakes and allow ourselves to be human and we are more forgiving of those around us.

So the new rule taped to the door of my dorm room so I see it daily is “Remember Rule #6” and I invite you to do the same.

(To my friend Ryan…you have inspired me to be more consistent in posting! You rock!)

No comments: