Thursday, January 19, 2006

More from the Confessions class

Today was the last day of class and we have 2 weeks to get a 10-15 page paper turned in. I have found this class extremely interesting and useful. Some of my classmates feel the same and some don't. One classmate has posed questions to me about what is important about PC(USA) and reformed theology.
I agree with our professor in that the Presbyterian Church specifically and reformed theology in general are part of the unveiling of the truth of God. Our perspective is unique and we need to stand on our historical roots. I don't know as we have done a particularly good job of this in the last several decades. I think we have drifted more and more away from our theology and more toward the culture.
We have allowed culture to dictate what we do and who we are instead of being counter-cultural. The Gospel is very counter-cultural and there are points that were (and are) downright offensive. The church is not called to assimilate to the culture, but to stand apart, to be something different.
My first semester here in Austin, I had a professor that said we were not called to be safe. I have to agree. The call to Christian ministry is not one of safety, but one where we must trust that we are safely in the arms of a sovereign God. This is where I stand by the first question of the Heidelberg Catechism.
Q. What is your only comfort, in life and in death?
A. That I belong - body and soul, in life and in death - not to myself but to my faithful Savior, Jesus CHrist, who at the cost of his own blood has fully paid for all my sins and has completely freed me from the dominion of the devil; that he protects me so well that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that everything must fit his purpose for my salvation. Therefore, by his Holy Spirit he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me WHOLEHEARTEDLY WILLING AND READY FROM NOW ON TO LIVE FOR HIM.

No comments: