Sunday, November 05, 2006

Where does your first step take you?

This was the question I was asked as a high school junior while at Olympic Development Program soccer camp. We were working on reading and handling flighted balls into the box. My first step was forward, toward the player who had just kicked the ball. Needless to say, I got burned deep several times. That was when the question came "Where does your first step take you?"

The coach went on to explain that I needed to stay put for a count and read the flight of the ball as well as account for spin, wind, and positioning of other players both offense and defense. I struggled with this. I still wanted to attack. The coach finally stood in the goal behind me and grabbed hold of the tail of my jersey. He held it for a count after the ball was kicked, yanking on it if I stepped forward. Once I quit fighting him, he let me try it on my own. I figured out that if I stepped back, I gave myself a better read on the ball and put myself in better postion to win the ball first.

The same question has resurfaced in the seminary environment. My inclination is to take my first step forward, toward whatever issue/problem is at hand. In meeting with a spiritual director, I need to work on taking a step back or at least staying put until I can assess the situation and then respond as I need to. Only when I take the time to read the situation, can I give myself the best chance of responding appropriately. I also give myself a chance to position help where I need them and rely on others and their gifts instead of only my own.

Peace,

No comments: