Sunday, September 03, 2006

A question of passion

Listening to the sermon this morning, and thinking about several worship services I have attended in the last several months what I have discovered is that I feel like most if not all lack passion. It is like we are going through the motions decently and in order as good Presbyterians should. We have become a denomination of pacifists that would rather not do anything.

This is actually evidenced by the zillions of letters to the editor of the Layman about the dozen or so conservative splinter groups, who have yet to do anything. I actually applaud Kird of the Hills in Tulsa for up and leaving. They have a conviction about what they are about and did something.

I don't think apostacy is going to kill the Presbyterian church, I think it is apathy. Very rarely have I sensed fire from those leading worship and even less from the congregation. How can we be on fire for God if we don't even have any fire within us. What good does it do to pass on an unlit torch?

As I have been reading preaching books this summer I have discovered more questions than I have answers for and I plan to pursue those questions with professors. In reflecting on GA and Montreat I have discovered that there is more arguement over politics than theology. When did the church let go of theology in favor of political power plays? Why have we let ourselves be more about worldly things than God's plan?

It is time for a new era of reformation. To be the church reformed and always being reformed. This reformation needs to take place in the hearts of the believers. Preachers need to preach with passion and conviction as well as sound theology and biblical study. Preachers need to connect with their congregations and be open and vulnerable with them. What is the passion of the preacher, how does that ignite the believer in the pew.

There is an old camp song...It only takes a spark to get a fire glowing, and soon all those around can warm around its glowing. That's how it is with God's love, once you've experienced it. You want to sing, its fresh like spring, you want to pass it on. May we all have the divine spark within us ignited that we may be on fire for God.

Peace

No comments: